header header header header header
Housebasementsuite walkup hirise condos
Go To Laws for Landlords
CPLEA's Public Legal Education Blog

Winner of the 2007 Alberta Consumer Champion Award of Distinction
Funding from the Alberta Real Estate Foundation gratefully acknowledged. AREF

Home > Disputes > Just the Facts > Condo Corporation Ends Tenancy > How to End Tenancy

Applying to Court for an Order for Possession of the Property

The condominium corporation can apply directly to the Court of Queen’s Bench for an order for possession when:

  • you do excessive damage to the property of a corporation, or
  • you are a danger to or are intimidating the owners or other renters.
The condominium corporation can apply to court even if the corporation has already given you a notice to end the tenancy. The application to court must be supported by an affidavit setting out:
  • the damage to the property of the corporation or the common property;
  • the nature of the danger or intimidation to owners or other tenants; and
  • any other relevant information.

When making a decision, the court will consider what has already happened with regard to damage or intimidation and the likelihood of further damage or intimidation in the future. If the court grants the order, it will set a date for you to leave the premises and give up possession. The owner of the condominium must also be served with any notices or orders relating to the eviction.

If you do not comply with the court order for possession, your landlord or the condominium corporation must register the order in the Court of Queen’s Bench before taking any further enforcement action such as instructing a civil enforcement agency to remove you.

May 2005